The population of Superior has also been much higher than today's population. Back in 1910, Superior had over 40,000 people. For decades there was no sewage treatment.
Watch a slideshow
of early pipes in Superior and eventually the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
1880s The first sewer pipes in Superior were built in the 1880s.
The first city engineer was E. B. Banks.
By the end of 1891 the city had over 40 miles of street sewers with some up to 10 feet and 4 inches in diameter. The larger pipes were being one of the largest in the country at that time.
1958 Opening of the Superior Sewage Disposal Facility
1976 Secondary treatment using activated sludge was added. Organisms help to clean the water to a higher level.
2012 Chlorination is replaced by UV light disinfection.