- Environmental Services Division
- Medicine Drop Box
Medicine Drop Box
Never flush pharmaceuticals down the toilet.
The Superior Police Department, in conjunction with the Douglas County Sheriff's Department and the City of Superior Public Works Environmental Services Division, is serving as a location to bring unwanted or expired pharmaceuticals (drugs and medicines). The drop box is located in their lobby. Most drug stores in Superior, WI have dropboxes for pharmaceuticals.
- Bring unwanted or expired pharmaceuticals to the Superior Police Department, 1316 N. 14th St. , Suite 150. Open M - F (8 AM - 4:30 PM). If you have any questions, call (715) 395-7234.
- Needles, syringes, and lancets are accepted at Essentia Health Superior Pharmacy, 3500 Tower Ave. Click Here for the Pharmaceutical Collection Poster.
Proper Disposal Leads to a Safer Community
Bringing unwanted, unused, or expired pharmaceuticals to the pharmaceutical drop box is an important step in keeping your family and community safe. Keeping these substances in your home can lead to a number of potential problems.
- 70% of teens surveyed who take prescription medications for non-medical purposes said that they got medications from family members or friends (Partnership for a Drug-Free America).
- 4.8% of teens surveyed by the National Survey for Drug Use and Health took pharmaceuticals from their friends or family member without asking (SAMHSA, 2010). Prescription drug abusers have also broken into homes and pharmacies with the purpose of obtaining pharmaceuticals.
If you properly dispose of pharmaceuticals, you will help keep prescription drugs out of the hands of drug abusers.
Pharmaceuticals in the Environment
Pharmaceuticals are any product used by individuals for personal health and cosmetic reasons or used by agribusiness to enhance the growth or health of livestock. Studies have shown that certain drugs may cause ecological harm if they get into our nation’s water.
Additional helpful links:
DID YOU KNOW?
Another source of this pollution is unwanted pharmaceuticals being flushed down the toilet - this was once the accepted norm. Clearly, this is no longer a sound recommendation. You can make sure that these unwanted or expired pharmaceuticals by bringing them to a safe location (listed on this page) rather than flushing them down the toilet!