2020-2040 Comprehensive Plan Update
About the Superior Comprehensive Plan
The City of Superior is updating its Comprehensive Plan which is used to guide growth and development decisions. This webpage provides an overview of the planning process and will be updated with new materials and updates throughout the planning process.
WHAT IS A COMPREHENSIVE PLAN?
- The Superior Comprehensive Plan is a guide to community, physical, social, and economic development growth.
- It creates a 20-year vision for future planning and community decisions
- The goal of the Superior Comprehensive Plan is to:
WHY UPDATE NOW?
- Reflect current demographic trends and changes
- Reflect current public input and desires for the future of the community
- Include recent development and activity within Superior
- Wisconsin State Statutes require each City to update their plan every 10 years
- The official mapping, subdivision and zoning actions taken by the City must be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
There are 11 elements of the Comprehensive Plan. The Issues and Opportunities element identifies key themes for the community to work towards throughout the life of the plan. The Implementation element identifies specific actions that Superior will work on to achieve its goals. The other nine plan elements include various systems or built elements of the community, and will include an understanding of the existing conditions and goals for the future.
WHEN WILL THE PLAN BE COMPLETED?
The Comprehensive Plan will be completed over a 12-14 month process. There are five phases of the planning process that include engagement and analysis for the Plan. These phases include community background, planning for the future, plan element analysis, plan development, and plan adoption. The general timeline of each phase is identified below.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
- Bookmark this webpage! All plan updates will be communicated here, including opportunities for plan input, review, and surveys.
- Subscribe to the City's Notify Me platform to receive updates when valuable information has been added to this website. Simply click the link below, enter your email, sign in then subscribe to "2020-2040 Comprehensive Plan Update."
Please contact a project team member for more information, to ask questions, or share your input!
Jason Serck - Planning, Economic Development & Port Director
Call: 715-395-7335 or;
UPCOMING ENGAGEMENT OPPORUNITIES
The City of Superior is about to kick off the first engagement opportunity for the planning process. In late February, a community survey will be available to all residents and stakeholders to provide input on the issues and opportunities for the future of Superior. Additionally, a virtual open house will be held in March to provide an overview of the planning process and gather feedback. Check back for more information!
PHASE 1: COMMUNITY BACKGROUND Going on now!
Phase 1 of the planning process focuses on gathering existing conditions information about the community. This includes a review of existing demographic and geographic conditions of the community including population growth, income change, and housing opportunities. Future projections for employment and population will also be explored.
PHASE 2: PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE Going on now!
Phase 2 of the planning process will gather feedback from the community and establish issues and opportunities that Superior may face over the next 20 years. This information will set a 20 year vision for the community and will be used to establish goals for each plan element.
PHASE 3: PLAN ELEMENT ANALYSIS
Phase 3 includes an analysis of existing and future conditions for each plan element. Plan elements include housing; transportation; land use; economic development; utilities and community facilities; agricultural, natural, and cultural resources; intergovernmental cooperation; coastal resources; and hazard mitigation. This analysis will identify the direction that Superior will work towards.
PHASE 4: PLAN DEVELOPMENT
Phase 4 of the planning process includes the development of a draft and final Comprehensive Plan. The public will have an opportunity to review and comment on the plan as it is finalized.
PHASE 5: PLAN ADOPTION
Phase 5 includes the adoption of the Comprehensive Plan by the Plan Commission and City Council.