2020-2040 Comprehensive Plan Update
About the Superior Comprehensive Plan
The City of Superior is updating its Comprehensive Plan which is used to guide growth and development decisions. This webpage provides an overview of the planning process and will be updated with new materials and updates throughout the planning process.
WHAT IS A COMPREHENSIVE PLAN?
- The Superior Comprehensive Plan is a guide to community, physical, social, and economic development growth.
- It creates a 20-year vision for future planning and community decisions
- The goal of the Superior Comprehensive Plan is to:
WHY UPDATE NOW?
- Reflect current demographic trends and changes
- Reflect current public input and desires for the future of the community
- Include recent development and activity within Superior
- Wisconsin State Statutes require each City to update their plan every 10 years
- The official mapping, subdivision and zoning actions taken by the City must be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
There are 11 elements of the Comprehensive Plan. The Issues and Opportunities element identifies key themes for the community to work towards throughout the life of the plan. The Implementation element identifies specific actions that Superior will work on to achieve its goals. The other nine plan elements include various systems or built elements of the community, and will include an understanding of the existing conditions and goals for the future.
WHEN WILL THE PLAN BE COMPLETED?
The Comprehensive Plan will be completed over a 12-14 month process. There are five phases of the planning process that include engagement and analysis for the Plan. These phases include community background, planning for the future, plan element analysis, plan development, and plan adoption. The general timeline of each phase is identified below.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
- Bookmark this webpage! All plan updates will be communicated here, including opportunities for plan input, review, and surveys.
- Subscribe to the City's Notify Me platform to receive updates when valuable information has been added to this website. Simply click the link below, enter your email, sign in then subscribe to "2020-2040 Comprehensive Plan Update."
Please contact a project team member for more information, to ask questions, or share your input!
Jason Serck - Planning, Economic Development & Port Director
Call: 715-395-7335 or;
CURRENT ENGAGEMENT OPPORUNITIES
The community survey has closed and we received over 500 responses. Thank you for your input! Summary of Survey Results
Wednesday, December 1st from 4:00-7:00PM in the Superior Government Center Atrium - 1316 North 14th Street. This event will share the final updates to our plan and gather your feedback on a variety of plan topics.
FINAL DRAFT OF THE 2040 COMPREHENSIVE PLAN IS AVAILABLE NOW! Please use this link to access the final version of the 2040 Comprehensive Plan! The Planning Department will receive any comments, questions or concerns through December 31, 2021. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Planning Department, 1316 N 14th Street, Ste. 210, Superior, WI 54880.
Tentative review and approval timeline (subject to change):
Plan Commission Review: December 15, 2021 at 4:00PM
City Council Review: January 18, 2022 at 6:30PM Public Hearing to begin at or shortly after 6:30 PM
PHASE 1: COMMUNITY BACKGROUND
Phase 1 of the planning process focuses on gathering existing conditions information about the community. This includes a review of existing demographic and geographic conditions of the community including population growth, income change, and housing opportunities. Future projections for employment and population will also be explored.
PHASE 2: PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE
Phase 2 of the planning process will gather feedback from the community and establish issues and opportunities that Superior may face over the next 20 years. This information will set a 20 year vision for the community and will be used to establish goals for each plan element.
PHASE 3: PLAN ELEMENT ANALYSIS
Phase 3 includes an analysis of existing and future conditions for each plan element. Plan elements include housing; transportation; land use; economic development; utilities and community facilities; agricultural, natural, and cultural resources; intergovernmental cooperation; coastal resources; and hazard mitigation. This analysis will identify the direction that Superior will work towards.
PHASE 4: PLAN DEVELOPMENT
Phase 4 of the planning process includes the development of a draft and final Comprehensive Plan. The public will have an opportunity to review and comment on the plan as it is finalized.
PHASE 5: PLAN ADOPTION
Phase 5 includes the adoption of the Comprehensive Plan by the Plan Commission and City Council.